The Planet: Etimon
Gestures and Greetings:
The Ruling Family:
- Body organs contain no visible liver. Heart is six-chambered and the stomach is two- chambered. There are two unidentifiable organs located in the brain. Otherwise, similar body structure as a human. Spots across face, no eyebrows. They move faster than humans and have good reflexes. Their hair is always dyed some kind of bright color, usually red, blue, green or purple, unless they are in mourning. They all have purple eyes.
- As they age, the number of spots increase, expanding outward. The spots on the back of an Etimonian are similar to the front, running down the center.
- They have the ability to "see" energy signatures and part of their mating ritual begins with the give and take of their mate's energy. Etimonians can see an 'aura' around everyone. It's different for all species and it can indicate a person's mood or physical condition. Plus, if an Etimonian mates with another, passing his or her energy (an action called Bre'anah), there is an energy signature that allows others to see whom they have done it with. This mark stays with them forever.
- The population is mainly vegetarian, except the soldiers who eat meat from time to time.
- By human standards, they age slowly; a young adult still looks like a child by human standards. Etimonians today do not resemble the Etimonians of generations past. Their genetic code keeps changing, due to the mating of the ruling class with those of other species in order to strengthen the line.
- Bananas cause a reaction similar to drunkenness.
- Just days after mating, the Etimonian female passes a small orb, called an aumo, which is then placed into an amber gel (at which time the word becomes 'aumu'). This gel is collected from wells in the rocky hillsides and placed into tanks. The aumu will remain there until the child is sufficiently grown. The same gel also has healing properties, which was demonstrated on Stetson Griffon when he had his heart attack and it has been discovered that the gel is actually a sentient being called the Ohrna.
- An Etimonian can hold someone in 'stasis' for a short period of time, by placing a hand on the person's forehead and chest. They must not break contact and it takes a tremendous amount of energy to maintain the stasis.
- When an Etimonian dies, their body slowly dissolves into a gelatinous state and they join the Ohrna, mixing their memories in with those who have gone before.
- Pilots are at least 50. Before they become pilots, they must fulfill family duties first or become soldiers.
- When couples are joined, they spend an entire year in celebration before they are required to go back to work. During this time, they are expected to produce offspring.
- At death, the memories of the individual are passed on to another, usually a family member. To die without doing so is a great loss to the people.
- Promiscuity is rare on Etimon. The ruling family is the one who promotes the enhancement of the genetic pool. No Etimonian would want to display more in their aura than the ruler. There ARE those who do, but they are pretty much shunned in the society, and they do NOT live in Retanya. It would be like wearing a prettier gown than the princess.
- Clothing and hair color is as vibrant as can be, however, without the coloring, an Etimonian's hair is pure white. The only time it is left natural is when they are in mourning. During that time, clothing is also white. While in mourning, individuals enter a period of solitude.
- Etimonians are usually very polite and reserved. Young females are not allowed alone with a male.
- When a female Etimonian has passed her 19th birthday, she wears a bracelet on her left hand to symbolize her entry into womanhood and her availability for mating.
- The females of the ruling family wear jeweled headbands while the males sport ornate jeweled medals over their heart.
- Physical deformity is shunned. Such rare individuals live on the outskirts of society (see Tahp, in Notable Individuals, below)
Gestures and Greetings:
- Greeting includes placing the fist of the right hand on the left chest, flattening the fist slightly, and bowing. Usual greeting is "we ask for peace" to which the reply is "peace is yours." Not flattening the fist symbolizes surrender. Using the left hand is considered an insult.
The Ruling Family:
- The ruler of Etimon passes the mantle of authority down to his or her children at the time of death. When the child has lived eighteen seasons, they are sent away for a season of training where they discard all childhood play and begin to learn to rule the planet.
- The female child of the Ruler is expected to make many "alliances" (mating) with other species as a way to either seal a contract, or to enhance the strength of the genetic code. At the end of her life, Ahska's aura will be more glorious than any other Etimonian's, because of all of her alliances.
- Ahska's grandmother was the Captain of a Starfleet vessel that crashed on the planet. Keeping the Prime Directive, she spent her days incognito, integrating into the society and living out the rest of her days. The Etimonian public is not aware of her other life.
- The "Rosetta Disk" (probably named by Ahska's grandmother) is a collection of languages that had been compiled for decades. By the time an Etimonian is in their eleventh season, they know most of the languages of the surrounding species, all from studying the disk. This disk was given to the Talon and translated into their computer system by Gillian Griffon before being returned. The Captain's Starfleet combadge is in Etheron's private collection, which was passed down to Ahska, along with his own dagger, after his death.
- Etheron gave Dorian the seed of a dhukarn tree, which he said would blossom and give great pleasure to the crew.
- The planet Etimon was under constant attack by the Mehtak, a warlike species who wanted the planet's energy for their own. At one time, Etimon had a thriving fleet of ships, but after the Mehtak surrounded the planet with satellite outposts, Etimon focused more on defense than their flight operations.
- The planet has four moons and a dense collection of stars that can be seen from the planet.
- Huge collections of energy are contained in the rocks, energy which can be picked up by sensors on a ship.
- The Talon sent the Mehtak packing and Etimon entered the Federation. Now, instead of Mehtak satellites, the Etimonian view from the planet is that of a new starbase, Starbase Gamma Etimon, that was part of the agreement.
- Ahska: 19 years old, daughter of Etheron, princess of Etimon. As a key figure (or bargaining chip) in the war between Etimon and Mehtak, Ahska was kidnapped and set adrift in a life pod, where she was later rescued by the Peregrin. Her father had given up hope that she would ever be rescued.
- Etheron: Deceased at 78 years old, ruler of Etimon. Ahska's Father. Died April 23, 2408 under suspicious circumstances.
- Araynah: Ahska's grandmother. Her real name was Amanda and she was the Captain of a destroyed vessel. When she died, she refused the memory transfer, keeping her memory of Starfleet from the people of Etimon.
- Sarnah: Senior woman in the palace.
- Esohn: Leader of the soldiers and Etheron's advisor. Became Vildar after the death of Etheron.
- Zakhara: Chancellor and Diplomat.
- Shahn: Ahska's aide.
- Zharn: Very old and revered member of Etimonian society
- Trahmak: individual trained to extract memories
- Tahp: mute Etimonian who performed a joint Bre'anah on Hunter and Emmarie utilizing an enhancement stone.
- Quadrah - friend of Hunter and Emmarie
- Rahyn - friend of Hunter and Emmarie
- Portah fruit - like a pear
- Water - Ahska refers to plain water as "waste water". It has to be flavored with lemon to be palatable.
- Bananas - cause a drunken state in an Etimonian
- Dhukarn berry - causes drowsiness
- Tahkla snacks - crispy and salty
- Vildar: King
- Hezak: Queen
- Tethran: Prince
- Qysan: Princess
- Rethik: Leader of the soldiers
- Midhara: Chancellor
- Bre'anah: The transfer of energy during sex
- Aumo: the "egg" just after being released out of the body
- Aumu: the "egg" after being placed into the Ohrna tank
- Dhukarn tree: stout trunk with spreading branches and vibrant amber flowers with a delicious scent. Produces small berries that have a sedative effect.
- Eahtran tree: forms long vines
- Myrohah tree: Magenta puffballs release with the wind
- Ohrna: the gel symbiotic creature
- Bihps: small, excitable lifeforms that are very protective of anything emerald colored. It has been discovered that this is a survival mechanism, protecting their food sources. The Bihps are born transparent and eventually take on various colors depending on the minerals in the mud that they use to hide under after dark. They can become a gelatinous puddle when relaxed and float through the air (the mechanism of which has not been discovered yet). As they get older, they develop a small feather projection on the top of their "head" which is used in attracting a mate. When excited, they excrete an analgesic. They love to play, and will frequently be found flitting in groups in flowers, the mist of waterfalls, etc. Ahska owns one as a pet, named Ata.
- Phutuh: a very large stick insect (about a meter in length). When threatened, it will change colors rapidly, emit a very high sound, and squirt a foul substance from 2 scent glands.
- Stone of Enhancement - a black crystal that focuses and intensifies the feelings involved during Bre'anah. Emmarie discovered that it tastes like licorice (don't ask!).
- Pillars of Etimon - now a favorite tourist destination. Nightly, excess planetary energy is released into the atmosphere through the pillars, causing a glorious spectacle.