Moonbase and Wormhole Info
About the Wormhole
One side of the Gamma/Cardassian wormhole is in the center of the "Racetrack" in the Gamma Quadrant, Starfleet map Sector Two. The other side of the wormhole exits in the badlands of Cardassian territory. Following the war, Starfleet entered into a treaty with the Cardassians as part of the initial stages of peace with them. As part of the Treaty, passage to and from the wormhole has been granted, though the Cardassians have the right to stop and inspect any vessel leaving the wormhole.
About the moon base
The moon installation is a haphazard construction, built by many races, serving many needs. It is the closest waystation to the Gamma/Cardassian wormhole. The moon is caught in orbit around the location of the wormhole on the Gamma Quadrant side. Because of its prime location, the base is the repository for mail, supplies, and acts as a refueling station for many vessels. No one entity owns the base, but those who use it may defend it from attack depending on what they think they can gain by doing so. Various individuals have constructed repair facilities, gaming enterprises, shops, hotels, etc., all for a price.
What's in a name?
Because no single species owns the base, it goes by many names. Below, is a list of what it is called by specific species:
- Cardassians: Sark Nor - "alien station" (more of a description than an actual name.)
- Federation: Gamma-Cardassian Outpost, GCO for short
- Pelebians: Zor'u'elseo - literally, "place of danger"
- Etimonians: Ohtahna Vrah - "energy moon"
- Ferengi: Gintnar (Gint was the Ferengi who created the Rules of Acquisition and Nar is assumed to mean "world", thus the Ferengi hope to make this place a world of Acquisition, haha.)
- Ea'n'Dra: Trior - "outpost"
- Shydran: Heo'Hoa - "satellite moon"
- Couduska: Gruhs Epriy - "Great Opportunity"
- Y'angdar: Cru'Idaar - "conglomerate"
- Pewdin: Ni'Kroph - "little moon"
- Bacohl: Brux Visylyk - "rock base"